Head of Legal and Compliance
The Head of Legal and Compliance will be the focal point for all legal & compliance matters, including agreements with external business partners (contract research organizations, contract manufacturing organizations, academic collaborators, consultants, Pharma and Biotech companies) and internal legal aspects. The role will require an exquisite understanding of the company’s business strategy and technical knowledge in various areas of commercial and corporate law in equal measures.
- Lead and/or facilitate the development of agreements with external business partners, including:
- Intellectual property and license agreements, sponsored research agreements and clinical trial agreements with academic collaborators
- Collaboration agreements with contract research organizations (CROs)
- License agreements, master service agreements, supply agreements and quality agreements with contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs)
- Collaboration agreements with Pharma and Biotech companies
- Any other agreement with external business partners
- Lead and facilitate the development of internal / corporate agreements, including:
- Corporate legal agreements, e.g. amendments of shareholder agreements, incorporation documents, etc.
- Lease agreements
- Human resources-related agreements
- Oversight of the company’s IP strategy, prosecution of the current and future patent portfolio
- Implement a coherent set of principles across the company’s agreements, to reduce complexity
- Appoint external subject matter experts, and manage a budget for external legal counsel to get the best value-for-money for the company
- Ensure that the company’s staff has an adequate understanding of essential legal provisions and commitments, e.g. confidentiality obligations.
This role is ideal for a person that is looking to build a legal and compliance framework in a fast-growing bio-tech. The ideal candidate will need to have experience in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, ideally in both a pre-clinical and late phase setting. This role will include travel both in the EU as well as the US.
Education & skills
- A broad generalist with experience in commercial and business law
- Prior experience as legal counsel in a Pharma / Biotech company (desirable)
- A track record of successful negotiations of commercial agreements with other Pharma companies, CROs and commercial CMOs
- The ability to think creatively around problems
- Gravitas and credibility to deal with challenging business partners
- First rate legal background
All employment offers and CV’s are managed through our Human Resources Department and all candidates are presented through this avenue. Therefore, the Human Resources Department at Orchard Therapeutics requests that recruiters are not to contact Orchard Therapeutics employees directly to present candidates. Complying with this request will be a factor in determining future professional relationships with Orchard Therapeutics. Orchard Therapeutics will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates for either current or future positions. Submission of unsolicited resumes in advance of an agreement between the Human Resources Department and the recruiter does not create any implied obligation on the part of Orchard Therapeutics.