Director, Program Management - Innovative Gene Therapy Start Up
Director, Program & Portfolio Management
Reporting to: Sr Director, Program & Portfolio Management
Orchard Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing transformative gene therapies for patients with severe inherited orphan diseases. The company was formed in September 2015 and was named a Fierce 15 Company by Fierce Biotech in 2016. The recent acquisition of GSK’s rare disease gene therapies portfolio strengthens Orchard’s position as a global leader in gene therapy for rare diseases.
As the company is rapidly expanding its pipeline of medicines for primary immune deficiencies and inherited metabolic disorders, we are looking to appoint a Director, Program & Portfolio Management, to provide an integrated, cross-functional view of all development programs and to shape the optimal allocation of the company’s resources.
Reporting into the Sr Director, Program Management, the role requires a highly resourceful individual with outstanding collaborative working skills, strategic & analytical skills in equal measures, emotional intelligence and highly developed communication skills.
This is a unique opportunity to play a central role in the rapid growth phase of a biotechnology company with a transformative technology.
Program Management responsibilities
The Director, Program & Portfolio Management will work alongside Program Leaders/Heads and the Sr Director, Program & Portfolio Management to ensure the consistent and effective planning and delivery of development programs.
- partner with the Program Leader to deliver program team dynamics for 2-3 development and pre-launch programs
- Delivering project plans, deliverables/milestones and associated resources (including FTEs and expenses);
- Providing an integrated view of projects risks, and developing associated risk mitigation plans, in coordination with the respective program teams; address risks mostly through team members
- Acting as initial point of contact for Program team members and Finance with respect to finance support, financial training and troubleshooting within the project team
- Provide the Finance Team with up-to-date projections on resources (including FTEs and direct expenses), to inform the budget process and the company’s allocation of resources over a 3-year time horizon
- Support Project Lead to review budgeted and non-budgeted/non-approved spend and ensure appropriate approvals are obtained and reallocations made (as necessary)
- Perform Variance analyses of budgets/Cost centers on a quarterly basis to identify anomalies and derive future courses of action; ensure compliance to forecasts/targets
- Addressing specific project operational issues
- Coordinating team meetings, capture meeting minutes with key actions and decisions; ensure diligent follow-up
- Ensuring that all key decisions involve key stakeholders, and that options are fully evaluated and documented
- Instilling sense of urgency within the project teams: seeking the optimal path to approval and market access
- Support the implementation of a common way to advance all programs, by implementing common tools and practices, encouraging communication among program team members sharing best practices
- Provide support for ad-hoc finance projects and initiatives
- Ensure compliance to SOP, ethical and legal standards of practice, as well as accounting practices
- Relevant experience within pharmaceuticals/biotech or pharma-specific consulting
- Outstanding program management or project management credentials; a proven ability to lead complex, cross-functional projects, align key stakeholders and project teams on key objectives and milestones and agree on resource requirements and associated timelines;
- Outstanding command of Project Management tools, including PowerPoint, MS Project, Excel; dashboards, etc. to present the company’s leadership team with a coherent representation of all pipeline programs;
- Highly developed communications skills, in writing and verbally, at every level of the organization;
- A strategic mindset, including the ability to identify the most relevant parameters driving a business decision and to focus the work accordingly;
- Excellent technical / analytical skills to assess the company’s portfolio of programs
- Proven financial analysis skills
- A strong business orientation and the ability to view issues from multiple functional perspectives, whilst managing organizational ambiguity
- An understanding of the complexities of development of gene and cell therapies (preferred)
- An understanding of the technical aspects of vector and cell product manufacturing (preferred)
- First rate academic background; undergraduate degree required; ideally with an MBA from a top business school or other relevant post-graduate qualification.