Senior Director, Corporate Communications - Innovative Gene Therapy Start Up
Location: East Coast, US
Reporting to: Chief of Staff and SVP Program & Portfolio Management
Orchard Therapeutics is clinical-stage biotechnology company developing transformative gene therapies for patients with severe inherited orphan diseases. The company was formed in September 2015 and was named a Fierce 15 Company by Fierce Biotech in 2016. Orchard’s lead program, OTL-101, autologous lentiviral gene therapy for ADA-SCID (adenosine deaminase severe combined immunodeficiency), is anticipated to become one of the first gene therapies aprpoved by the FDA.
As the company is expanding its pipeline and preparing to launch its first products, we are looking to appoint a Senior Director, Corporate Communications, to lead the company’s interactions with external audiences.
Working closely with the Chief of Staff and SVP Program & Portfolio Management, the role requires a highly resourceful individual with previous experience in Communications and outstanding interpersonal skills. This is a unique opportunity to shape the external communication strategy and raise the profile of a pioneering gene therapy company poised to become a leader in the field of rare diseases.
The Senior Director, Corporate Communications will work alongside the Chief of Staff and SVP Program & Portfolio Management, the Chief Executive Officer and the Leadership Team of Orchard Therapeutics to shape the external communication strategy and to raise the profile of the company with external audiences.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Developing the company’s external communication strategy: target audiences, corporate positioning and key messages, communication channels, communication performance metrics; in particular, the Senior Director, Corporate Communications will shape the communication strategy on social and digital media;
- Reviewing and developing the company’s website and corporate presentations (non-confidential and confidential);
- Working with the Chief of Staff and Chief Executive Officer, coordinate the company’s press releases and reactive statements;
- Managing relations with external stakeholders including the media, governments, the general public and the copmany’s academic partners
- Promoting the company at special events, congresses and symposia;
- Managing relationships with external communication agencies;
- Supporting the company’s Chief of Staff and Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer in managing interactions with investors
- Supporting the company’s Medical Affairs team in interactions with the patients and clincians communities, includig disease awareness campaigns.
- Highly developed writing, editing, and public speaking and leadership skills;
- Previous experience in a Public Relations or Communications role in a Pharma or Biotech company or in a Marketing or Public Relations Agency;
- A track record of leveraging social and digital media to raise the profile of an organization;
- Team work: ability to work with other employees;
- An understanding of gene and cell therapies.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in advertising, communications, public relations or a similar area of study;
- Ideally with an MBA from a top business school or other relevant post-graduate qualification (preferred).